Spring is in full swing and we couldn’t be more excited. Goodbye cold weather and hello sunshine! As we begin this new season, I Care Cleaning is here for all things cleaning services for the greater Indianapolis area. Today, we wanted to discuss the importance of swapping to green cleaning. Earth Day is right around the corner. There is no better time to reflect on your environmental impact and look for ways to swap to green cleaning.
The practice of green cleaning involves being mindful of the cleaning products and equipment we use to make our homes tidier. Even choosing eco-friendly products can have a significant positive impact on the environment. I Care Cleaning is providing some affordable and simple suggestions for becoming more environmentally aware. We trust that these suggestions will inspire you to make small adjustments in your daily life to safeguard our planet for future generations.
Every year, people come together globally to reduce our impact on the environment. This effort is demonstrated through the celebration of Earth Day, which focuses solely on promoting the conservation of the planet. Every Earth Day promotes a common goal by having a unifying theme, allowing people to work together towards a shared objective.
“In 2023 we must come together again in partnership for the planet. Businesses, governments, and civil society are equally responsible for taking action against the climate crisis and lighting the spark to accelerate change toward a green, prosperous, and equitable future. We must join together in our fight for the green revolution, and for the health of future generations. The time is now to Invest In Our Planet,”Kathleen Rogers, President of earthday.org
This year’s Earth Day theme is all about investing in our environment. See how I Care Cleaning is taking steps to do our part and we hope these ways to swap to green cleaning will help you do yours.
Why Swap to Green Cleaning Products?
Transitioning to an environmentally-conscious cleaning routine is advantageous for both the earth and your living space, as it reduces the influx of harmful chemicals. Choosing natural cleaning alternatives not only ensures safety but also proves more economical when compared to traditional cleaning supplies found in stores. Popular misconceptions may impede your belief in the efficacy of eco-friendly cleaning, but our aim is to facilitate your transition to these better options and empower you to prioritize the health of your home or workplace and the environment.
- Buy Eco-Friendly Products
- Use Homemade Cleaning Solutions
- Look for Glass Containers
- Swap to Reusable Cleaning Wipes
- Recycle Non-Replaceable Products
Don’t know where to start? These simple and effective tips can help reduce your environmental impact. We hope this information helps you make the swap to green cleaning!
Buy Eco-Friendly Products
It’s simple and quick to transition to environmentally-friendly cleaners by swapping out your current cleaning supplies with sustainable choices. This step is especially important for products that can’t be replaced with homemade options, such as laundry detergent. We’re not suggesting that you discard everything immediately, but as you need to restock, opt for natural products over traditional cleaners.
If you’re in the market for cleaning solutions that are kind to the environment, select products that steer clear of artificial fragrances and colors and minimize the use of dangerous chemicals. Most eco-friendly labels will indicate this. By switching to such products, you can reduce your impact on the environment and reduce the number of chemicals and potential allergens that you and your family are exposed to.
Use Homemade Cleaning Solutions
Including do-it-yourself cleaning solutions in your environmentally friendly cleaning routine can be a viable option. Many household cleaning products are versatile and can be used for various cleaning tasks. Not only are these homemade remedies affordable, but they can also be equally effective as traditional cleaning products. For example, everyday items that are excellent for making homemade cleaners include:
- Baking Soda– Baking soda is a versatile substance that has benefits beyond cooking. It’s an effective natural deodorizer and fat-buster, capable of breaking down stubborn, fat-based stains like grease and oil. It can also be used as an air freshener.
- White Vinegar– White vinegar is an acidic solution that’s commonly found in many households. It’s highly effective in removing tough stains from metal or ceramic surfaces, especially those left by coffee or tea. It’s also great for rust removal.
- Hydrogen Peroxide– Hydrogen peroxide is a basic solution that’s similar to bleach. It’s a great alternative to bleach and can be utilized in similar situations.
- Essential Oils– Essential oils are derived from organic compounds like cinnamon and lemon and are excellent for creating natural fresh scents in your home. Aromatherapy using essential oils can immediately improve the ambiance of your home.
It is amazing how household items can be used to effectively clean most areas of your home!
Look for Glass Containers
Opting for glass containers can rapidly reduce your environmental impact by minimizing the production of plastic waste. Although cleaning products made of glass may appear more expensive, combining them with homemade cleaning solutions is the most effective approach. Using glass spray bottles also has the added advantage of a longer lifespan and decreased waste.
Swap to Reusable Cleaning Cloths
By adopting reusable cleaning methods, you can reduce the amount of paper waste you generate while cleaning your home and save money at the same time. The accumulation of paper towels and disposable cleaning wipes can contribute to landfill overflow and increase the amount of household waste generated. You might not be familiar with the various reusable cleaning options available.
- Cloth Rags– Using leftover pieces of fabric can be a great substitute for paper towels when it comes to cleaning. These fabric scraps can be utilized to clean up unexpected spills, dry dishes, and remove tough dirt from surfaces. Once used, all you need to do is wash the cloths. The type of fabric scraps you choose to use will depend on your personal preference as well as the surface you are cleaning. For tasks that require more strength, like outdoor cleaning or stain removal, a cheaper fabric will work just fine. However, for delicate cleaning tasks, like dusting fragile surfaces, it’s best to use softer microfiber fabrics.
- Natural Sponges– Purchasing natural sponges for reusable cleaning is an excellent decision. Although cheaper plastic sponges are available in the market, they are not biodegradable and have a shorter lifespan compared to natural ones.
- Old Toothbrushes– Old worn-out toothbrushes can make great cleaning utensils. Reduce waste by repurposing any items you can.
Recycle Non-Replaceable Products
If you are having trouble finding a competent green cleaning agent to address your cleaning needs, remember to recycle the packaging. Even the smallest effort can reduce one’s carbon footprint. Numerous local establishments provide recycling services, so make an effort to discover which recyclable materials are accepted in your region through research.
I Care Cleaning pride itself on offering high-quality residential and commercial cleaning services throughout Indianapolis and Greenfield areas. Our experienced cleaners have a great eye for detail and our cleaning packages are flexible to accommodate your unique needs. Contact us today to get a free estimate – we would love to help you tackle your spring cleaning.